Friday 10 March 2017

The Kitchen

Margaret Olley, "Proteas in the Kitchen"

The Kitchen

I love the sunshine in the kitchen,
The glory of the light awakens
All the familiar textures of pot and china.
This is the home of the house,
The centre of its warmth,
The articulation of its love,
In the rise of bread, the crust of pie,
And the richness of gravy.
It is the place of your caring,
Fleshed out in the daily details,
Too small to be noted one by one,
But each constructing the heart of the house.

Your delight in us is incarnated here,
And this is the place of our true receiving.
Here we come hungry, thirsty, and in our need,
To meet the kindness of your hands.
And your friends came,
Finding a warmth they sought and a love they craved.
Not a pretentious place,
A good cause or a moral crusade.
If you will, another Nazareth,
Hidden in the wilderness of the world,
Where kindness feeds a poor Christ and his friends,
And bids them come in from the dark.

Tim Marks

This poem calls up all sorts of things for me - the sound of pots and pans moving on the stove in the kitchen as my mother made supper, the warmth and scent of food, the comfort of knowing someone who loved me was preparing a meal. Even as a young child I remember thinking that the work my mother did in our kitchen was the core to the apple, the center of our lives. "The kindness of your hands..." I love that. The daily details, these are the things on which love is built. The essence of sharing and recieving flows from this place, and from these hands. And to be sitting in my own kitchen, myself a mother, typing with these hands - what a privilege. The place at the heart of the world and life is mine now - how strange. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment