Sunday 19 March 2017

I Have a Bird in Spring



 
Holly Meade


 

I Have a Bird in Spring
 
I have a Bird in spring
Which for myself doth sing --
The spring decoys.
And as the summer nears --
And as the Rose appears,
Robin is gone.

Yet do I not repine
Knowing that Bird of mine
Though flown --
Learneth beyond the sea
Melody new for me
And will return.

Fast in a safer hand
Held in a truer Land
Are mine --
And though they now depart,
Tell I my doubting heart
They're thine.

In a serener Bright,
In a more golden light
I see
Each little doubt and fear,
Each little discord here
Removed.

Then will I not repine,
Knowing that Bird of mine
Though flown
Shall in a distant tree
Bright melody for me
Return.
  
Emily Dickinson 
 
I don't know when I first began associating little birds with my children(maybe everyone does with theirs too).
It may have started with that poem "little birds" by e.e.cummings (first blog post) - I've loved it for so long,
and when my kids came along I saw them in the words. However it developed, the fact is, a picture of a little
 sparrow or wren, or any small bird, brings them immediately to mind. So that print by Holly Meade, to me,
is my daughter, who would have been 13 years old today. I think of her in that "truer Land" every day.  
  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment