Wednesday 8 November 2017

Sometimes

Cecile Veilhan


Sometimes

Sometimes things don't go, after all,
from bad to worse.  Some years, muscadel
faces down frost; green thrives; the crops don't fail,
sometimes a man aims high, and all goes well.

A people sometimes will step back from war;
elect an honest man, decide they care
enough, that they can't leave some stranger poor.
Some men become what they were born for.

Sometimes our best efforts do not go
amiss, sometimes we do as we meant to.
The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow
that seemed hard frozen:  may it happen for you.

Sheenagh Pugh

I have this thought-habit of preparing for the worst case scenario. Sometimes (!) it helps. I sort out in my head what I will do if things go wrong, then I go ahead and jump in. But sometimes...it's a trap. Manytimes without knowing it, I simply anticipate that everything will fall apart. And frankly, because of what has happened in the past, I have been anticipating this for my family. I have been living in fear and dread. I don't want to do this anymore. I want to anticipate good. I want to hold up my hope-light and live in its warmth. (Hence this painting and poem.) One thing I know - love repels fear. I need to go to the source and fill myself so everlastingly full of it that it spills over. I need to get into the current of love and allow it to carry me through. This poem reminds me that I truly do believe God is good. I can expect good things from him. I can remember the battle is won. Love wins. Everytime.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment