Monday 31 October 2016

The Motion of the Earth



Neb 

The Motion of the Earth



A day with sky so wide,
So stripped of cloud, so scrubbed, so vacuumed free
Of dust, that you can see
The earth-line as a curve, can watch the blue
Wrap over the edge, looping round and under,
Making you wonder
Whether the dark has anywhere left to hide.
But the world is slipping away; the polished sky
Gives nothing to grip on; clicked from the knuckle
The marble rolls along the gutter of time --
Earth, star and galaxy
Shifting their place in space.
Noon, sunset, clouds, the equably varying weather,
The diffused light, the illusion of blue,
Conceal each hour a different constellation.
All things are new
Over the sun, but we,
Our eyes on our shoes, go staring
At the asphalt, the gravel, the grass at the roadside, the door-
step, the doodles of snails, the crochet of mortar and lime,
Seeking the seeming familiar, though every stride
Takes us a thousand miles from where we were before.



Norman Nicholson

(A bit of wishful thinking. I haven't seen a day "stripped of cloud" for ages. And I do realize that the photo is anything but cloudless. But clouds are interesting.) This poem reminds me of the feeling I used to get when swinging on the big swing at the playground. I was fine until I looked up into the sky, and then the earth fell away, and the sky was so wide and deep, I felt as if I were falling into it instead of rising - and my stomach did a flip so that I would have to look at the ground quick in order to catch my breath. The poem too, disturbs my equilibrium. But I appreciate that phrase "the seeming familiar", it might not be the heart of the poem, but it seems like it to me.   


No comments:

Post a Comment