Saturday 24 June 2017

The Garden

Carl Larsson  - “Apple Blossom.”

from The Garden

What wond’rous life in this I lead! 
Ripe apples drop about my head; 
The luscious clusters of the vine 
Upon my mouth do crush their wine; 
The nectarine and curious peach 
Into my hands themselves do reach; 
Stumbling on melons as I pass, 
Ensnar’d with flow’rs, I fall on grass. 

Meanwhile the mind, from pleasure less, 
Withdraws into its happiness; 
The mind, that ocean where each kind 
Does straight its own resemblance find, 
Yet it creates, transcending these, 
Far other worlds, and other seas; 
Annihilating all that’s made 
To a green thought in a green shade. 

Here at the fountain’s sliding foot, 
Or at some fruit tree’s mossy root, 
Casting the body’s vest aside, 
My soul into the boughs does glide; 
There like a bird it sits and sings, 
Then whets, and combs its silver wings; 
And, till prepar’d for longer flight, 
Waves in its plumes the various light. 

Andrew Marvell

We have a long history, this poem and I. I first read it when I was 12 or 13, and that line "Annhilating all that's made/To a green thought in a green shade." has come with me a long way. (A green thought. What is a green thought? I know what I think it is.) This is only part of a longer poem, but I love this particular part where Marvell does a gloat over summer's generosity - the abundance of fruit and flowers - so much that they almost fall into his mouth or put themselves into his hands. How he trips over them, and is ensnared by flowers - I love that one especially. It's entirely true, too. This time of year is so full of vegetable interest (!) that I can't get anywhere when I go for a walk. I see a flower over here, another over there, and I have to stop and take a picture. The salmonberries are out too, and you could hold your hand under a branch and have them fall into it, they are that ripe. So Marvell isn't even exaggerating much. And the part where he talks about shedding his body and gliding into a tree - it's completely ridiculous and wonderful. This is a man so overwhelmed by nature's extravagance that he goes bonkers. In a good way. I mean, please, ensnare me with flowers.

I wanted a painting of someone sitting under a tree in an orchard, but as with so many other poems, I couldn't get the perfect match. But I love Carl Larsson, and this painting has wonderful colours and subject matter, and it evokes similar feeling (for me) as the poem does.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment