Wednesday 14 June 2017

But Sometimes Rising

Samantha French

But Sometimes Rising

when I close my eyes
a deep ocean swells to drown
the dry shapes of day

but sometimes rising
in the waters of my mind
flesh faces waver

into clarity -
tantalizing cameos
like quicksilver fish

that gleam and vanish
as the current twists and shifts,
or mermaids groping

from the wrong side of
time's translucent element
for what might have been

Fred Cogswell

"When I close my eyes"... Isn't it true? Isn't there a submerged world in our heads? A place of mystery and beauty, flashes of possibility - depths of aching darkness and shafts of startling light. A place where time shifts forward and back, where people and places long gone suddenly come into sharp focus. It's another element, not reality and yet as real and close as anything we know.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment