Sunday 29 November 2020

Brr, Footrest

 

Matthew Brady

 

Brr, Footrest

(Robert Frost)


This ottoman is in my way.

I tripped on it again today;

It chills me with a nameless fear

To think it sees me as its prey.


My loving wife must think it queer

That I am always falling here

As I am walking past the chair.

How comical I must appear.


When I remember to beware

The wicked footrest lurking there,

I do not stumble in a sprawl,

And yet such instances are rare.


My house is cozy, warm , and small,

With just one thing that wrecks it all:

The ottoman that makes me fall,

The ottoman that makes me fall.


Francis Heany

 

 (Sometimes I just can't find the image I want to match the poem. This one will have to do for now.) My last post made me think of "Stopping By Woods On a Snowy Evening" by Frost, which in turn made me think of this poem - a wonderful imitation/parody of that poem. It cracks me up. There are some excellent parodies out there, I should include more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment