Saturday 13 July 2019

Caterpillar Song

The Caterpillar Of Phalaena Pini.





Caterpillar Song

Summer and leaves filled me
With a green drowse, now full
Of sleep I must turn
Leaflike, the fine thread
Comes from my lower lip
And fastens to a leaf, I am
Weaving around my fullness
A closing, a slow shuttling
To touch there and there
Where I will dream
All my hearts withering
And changing to a half-remembered
One in the air who quivers
Among leaves, who will know
Night after night by this
Night I spin around us how
Already it stirs
From sleep inside me, gathers
The leaves I have left
In me, how we begin
Together, it grows huge eyes
For me, and we wait
Behind them, it is growing
Shut wings, we wait between them
Night by night after this
Night spun around us, we know
Now is the time to soften
The way ahead for us, it opens,
The wet, shut wings come slowly
Out, they open, the veins
Fill them, they harden
And belong to us, we see
The night with all our eyes
At once, we move our wings
Apart among leaves, the one
Leaf with eyes to open
The night, not falling now
But rising and flying.

David Wagoner



"There where I will dream." How often do we imagine what it's like to wrap up in a chrysalis and change into a moth? To think of being like a caterpillar, feeding on green, growing, "changing to a half-remembered one" (as if there's a seed of something within, something I once was meant to be, and something from my future drawing me), spinning the Night around me. How the caterpillar feeds on leaves, and in time becomes a leaf-like creature, but one "rising and flying" rather than falling and dying. And the element of night? The unknown, hidden world only dimly grasped, where patterns weave us, in our sleep, in our dreams, into something new.
"Shut wings, we wait between them."

And what will we become?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment