Thursday 8 March 2018

Ode to the Onion


Tadashi Ohashi


Ode to the Onion

Onion,
luminous flask,
your beauty formed
petal by petal,
crystal scales expanded you
and in the secrecy of the dark earth
your belly grew round with dew.
Under the earth
the miracle
happened
and when your clumsy
green stem appeared,
and your leaves were born
like swords
in the garden,
the earth heaped up her power
showing your naked transparency,
and as the remote sea
in lifting the breasts of Aphrodite
duplicating the magnolia,
so did the earth
make you,
onion
clear as a planet
and destined
to shine,
constant constellation,
round rose of water,
upon
the table
of the poor.

You make us cry without hurting us.
I have praised everything that exists,
but to me, onion, you are
more beautiful than a bird
of dazzling feathers,
heavenly globe, platinum goblet,
unmoving dance
of the snowy anemone

and the fragrance of the earth lives
in your crystalline nature.

Pablo Neruda



“Under the earth the miracle happened”. (Right now, in gardens all over.) It is impossible not to love Neruda. I see him when I read this poem, holding an onion up to the light and addressing it, "luminous flask, to me you are more beautiful than a bird.." And maybe it seems silly - to write a poem to an onion, to praise the qualities of a vegetable, to appreciate the way it is formed, how it is translucent, and has little crystal-like cells, and though it grew in soil, is full of water. Maybe it seems childish, to hold up an onion and realize how it looks like a little globe, a planet, that it shines in its own way, even though it was born in darkness. "You make us cry without hurting us." How true. But what strikes me most as I read this poem is that I hold an onion in my hands nearly every day. I cry without pain  - as I cut into its flesh. At this very moment my kitchen is bathed in its fragrance. What seems silly to me now is that I did not recognize the miracle of it, the essence of hope and wonder and abundance embodied in it. Neruda! ("I have praised everything that exists." What a statement. He wasn't comprehensive, but he got a good start. If you read his "Odes", he even manages to praise a table.) This is the way we should live, in prayers of praise every day. In wonder.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment