Wednesday 5 April 2017

Therefore Am I Still

Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot



Therefore am I still 
A lover of the meadows and the woods 
And mountains; and of all that we behold 
From this green earth; of all the mighty world 
Of eye, and ear,—both what they half create, 
And what perceive; well pleased to recognise 
In nature and the language of the sense 
The anchor of my purest thoughts, the nurse, 
The guide, the guardian of my heart, and soul 
Of all my moral being. 

Wordsworth

Wordsworth's love for nature is moving. I don't know if any other poet conveys that sense of peace and 
rootedness the way he does. I can almost feel the man behind this poem - see him walking the trails, tramping over moors, through woods, observing and taking in the landscapes, the fresh air filling him and strengthening him, lifting him out of himself. I can relate. I wouldn't go so far as to say nature is the "soul of all my moral being", but the beauty of wild places and things is a necessity to my health - and I think that's true of all of us, whether we recognize it or not.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment